Longleaf Services, Inc.
Position Title: Operations Manager
Longleaf Services, a not-for-profit affiliate of the University of North Carolina Press, seeks an Operations Manager. Longleaf provides order processing, customer service, collection management, warehousing, fulfillment, and other publishing services for university presses.
The Operations Manager is a member of the senior leadership team and is a highly detail-oriented, and organized leader with strong communications skills and a proven ability to handle a diverse set of responsibilities in a fast-paced environment. The position oversees all operations processes, including planning, control, and performance improvement. The Operations Manager is also responsible for managing strong business relationships with client publishers and book-buying customers; managing the onboarding of new client publishers; and developing and delivering new analytics.
- Oversee daily fulfillment operations, including customer service, order processing, credit/collections, logistics, and inventory management on behalf of 16 client publishers. Set priorities to ensure that all incoming orders and daily work is processed within performance metrics.
- Hire, train, and manage the 20 fulfillment operations staff. Develop and maintain statistics to measure productivity and performance as well as analyze workflow and staffing needs.
- Serve as primary liaison between Longleaf and its client publishers to deliver the most value for publishers and their book-buying customers while enhancing the value of the service and ensuring client retention.
- Manage relationship, workflows, and daily activities with our third-party warehouse and logistics partner, Ingram Publishing Services, and our third-party software vendor, MSG/NewsCycle, to ensure that fulfillment and reporting systems meet ongoing and future needs.
- Assist in annual budgeting and financial management of Longleaf’s fulfillment operations.
- Champion efforts across the organization to improve processes and create efficiencies that lead to increased productivity and/or reduced costs.
- Assist in developing key strategic initiatives and stay informed of developments in the publishing services environment.
- Minimum of 10 years of management experience, including: hiring, training, and managing of customer service staff; inventory and financial accountability; and cost containment.
- Strong communications and leadership skills with an appreciation for the strengths of maintaining a diverse and equitable workplace.
- A record of success in optimizing existing procedures and introducing new ones.
- A sophisticated understanding of orders/fulfillment processes and a proven record of managing business partner relationships.
- Demonstrated aptitude for strategic, creative and innovative thinking in a quickly changing environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with technology functionality, client sales, marketing, finance and other teams to develop new ways to improve services.
- Excellent analytical, technical, and organizational skills
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word and Excel, report-writing tools, such as Informer, and the demonstrated ability to quickly learn new software systems.
- Knowledge of the publishing industry preferred.
- Ability to travel occasionally is required.
- State Health Plan of North Carolina underwritten by BCBSNC
- NCFlex State Insurance Plans: dental, vision, accident, AD&D, cancer, critical care, and life
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays per year
- 2 paid community service days
- Retirement and investment plans, including supplemental plans and access to financial advisors
- State Employees’ Credit Union Membership
This position reports to the CEO, President of Longleaf Services, Inc.
Interested candidates should email their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Longleaf Services values diversity, equity, and inclusion in word and deed. Our work reflects a commitment to engaging diverse voices and experiences. Similarly, we value a workplace that welcomes different perspectives to enhance the quality of our decision making as we carry out our work. We are strategically engaged in creating and enhancing policies and practices that will attract, retain, and develop a staff that is diverse along many dimensions.
LONGLEAF SERVICES IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V